Here's the list of options that we've come up with so far. It's time to vote!
- Minecraft Clone: We probably won't get far, but just something where you dig up bricks and place bricks. Perhaps we'll even implement tools for different types of things, but I don't know if we'll get that far. We can almost certainly steal textures from the Internet somewhere.
- 3D Breakout: The game mechanics are simple. Probably most of the people around here have even made Breakout before. We'd just draw it in 3D.
- NovaStorm: https://youtu.be/cHJokuGTQxc. The background is 3D but the rest isn't. Cool little ship-based shooter.
- 3D Asteroids: Top-down approach, with 3D ships and asteroids.
- 3D Blockade: We made 2D Blockade for the 1st collab. This would be similar but in 3D. The art would be pretty simplistic.
- 3D Xevious: The game we made for the last collab, just with 3D models instead. We could possibly use the previous codebase as a starting point, but I don't know if that's really what I want to do. This might be more appealing if our team this time around is exactly the same as the last collab.
- Generic Tank Game: A generic tank-based game, maybe kind of like this: https://youtu.be/omAcgnZdTyE?t=103, which me and some other people did for a collab-style thing many years ago. Unlike most of the other suggestions so far, this isn't a clone of another game, so you could put your game designer hat on for at least part of the time.
- Generic Space Game: A generic 3D space shooter, mayble like this: https://youtu.be/omAcgnZdTyE?t=154. This too is generic and doesn't have any hard and fast rules. So game designer hat, once again.
That doesn't have to be an exhaustive list, but it is time to decide pretty quickly. If you've got something else to add (or if I missed something as I was going through the game suggestion thread) please let me know right away so I can add it to the list.
I'm not sure I need to lay down any official voting rules. We've been able to come up with a choice people are generally happy with in an organic fashion in all of the previous collabs. Just jump in and say what games interest you the most and we'll go from there. If we're having a hard time coming to a consensus, we can always call for an official tally.