A vertical 2D scrolling mining game where you have to provide the minerals necessary for the colony to expand and sell the excess for drillship upgrades.
I started Tunnel Lords during Competition #4. My goal is completely finish Tunnel Lords by the end of this competition. If XBOX Live Indie Games is still around, I would like to attempt to publish on that, if not than maybe I can find a different venue, or just be content with the game's completion.
My wife is drawing most all the graphics, which has been great!
|Language:||C# and XNA 4.0|
A demo of the game as it currently stands: https://bitbucket.org/BrettWoodard/tunnel-lords-demo/downloadsImage of updated Fuel Farm and right before competition started:
Image of new Smelter Graphic (Version 0.5.4)
Image of mineral text added when minerals picked up
New Title Menu Screenshot. The Dirt sprite still needs a little work so its tiling isn't so easy to spot.
Hud Screenshot from Version 0.7.0. The Save Screen is a little more opaque now than shown in this screenshot. I'm very happy with how the HUD is turning out.
Short Term Goals (daily):
- Add a Hit the wall too hard crunch sound effect
- Add rocket fire for when spaceship blasts off.
Mid Term Goals (Weekly)
- Balance game-play so amount of money coming in matches right pace of purchasing upgrades
- Updated Smelter Graphic (no longer programmer art)
- Added Temp damage to drillship.
- Added Pressure damage to drillship
- Added a screen to select the controller in use that opens when game first loaded.
- During death sequence, disabled bulletins and warnings from popping up.
- Fix bug affecting ability to upgrade buildings past their first upgrade.
- Add bulletin warning about temperature damage.
- Add bulletin warning about pressure damage.
- Added icon to repair and fuel screen.
- Added an 'Unable' Sound Effect.
- Added a Purchase Item Sound Effect.
- Cleaned up minor bugs with the menus.
- Added Save Spot Graphic
- Fixed Bug with position of cursor placing wrong for one frame on title menu
- Finalized Map width
- Fixed menu sound effect bug when contributing to buildings
- Improved title splash screen graphic
- Improved options screen
- Fixed dirt sprite so it tiles better (still needs some minor adjustments)
- Fixed bug that dropped minerals in inventory when loading a game.
- Added list of seen bulletins to save file. This way when you load a game, it doesn't replay them all the old bulletins.
- The letter 'I' now opens the inventory.
- Added the choice to turn off bulletins in the options screen for people who want more mining and less story. It also helps when play testing and you don't want to see the same bulletins 38 times.
- Added ability to sell or dump a single mineral.
- The Heads up display has been redesigned. It still needs more work though.
- Created a new cargo quantity gauge.
- Refactored gauge and status bar code.
- Refactored draw code into a separate RenderManager.
- Added a basic Stencil effect when rendering to screen that allows cropping screens. (A new concept for me to learn.)
- Reformated all in game screens to match HUD.
- Removed Pressure damage from game. (It didn't make sense).
- Remade Temp damage formula.
- Added discount amount to fuel and repair screens to show when discounts are applied.
- Fixed bug preventing completing tasks when loading a saved game.
- Spaceport Graphic Added.
- Added credits screen.
- Removed credits from main menu screen.
- Added improved gauge cluster.
- Heads up display was completed.
- Code was refactored to reflect better filenames and namespace hierarchy. (Precursor to creating XBOX copies)
- An XBOX 360 version of project was completed and tested.
- Made title menu font larger since it was a little small when viewed on a TV.
- Made Version # font a little larger for viewing on TV.
- Increased size of controller select screen font.
- Darkened the temperature gauge so it looks better on TV.
- Fixed interface between game and XBOX guide when being asked to purchase the game at end of trial period.
- Updated Spaceport sprite.
- Replaced Rocket Clamp graphic placeholder with final sprite.
- Fixed issue with saveScreen transition looking jerky.
- Replaced placeholder text and graphics on the Sell/Inventory screens.
- Fixed XBOX loading new game delays.
- Updated Grass graphics above mine.
- Fixed temperature gauge damping issue.
- Tested ability to delete saved games.
- Tested changing storage containers from in game.
- Movement - Arrow Keys, WASD
- Accept - Left Control, Right Control
- Cancel - Left Shift, Right Shift, Escape
- Open Title Menu - Escape, Delete
- Cheat Mode - C
- Open In Game Menu - Tab, Y, I
- Sell or dump a single mineral - Z
- Pause - P
- Show Safe Area - V (Debugging Only)
XBOX 360 Controller
- Movement - Direction Pad or Left Joystick or Right Joystick
- Accept - A
- Cancel - B
- Remove/Delete - X (Delete a saved game)
- Open In Game Menu / Change Storage Device - Y
- Pause - Back
- Open Title Menu - Start