So, we're at the end of day three (at least in my time zone) and I've made some decent progress. This time around, I decided to mimic RBWhitakers typical game layout if you're familiar with those from previous collaborations. This introduces a bit more complexity but allows for easier updating and changing out of interfaces for things such as rendering and game object controllers. At any rate, I seem to be getting the hang of the new tech and things are going fairly smooth.
I was able to get a basic idle and walking animation up and working with a Keyboard input controller, and so far the results work well:
So far I've got about 6 hours invested and tomorrow I'll be moving on to more of the detailed game work… adding a health bar, score, and an AI controlled opponent to test things out. For the time being, the opponent will probably just stand there and take hits. After that's implemented, it'll be time to implement additional moves and backgrounds. Sound tracks coming soon as well!
Well, I kind of missed the one week update so this is a early week two post. I haven't got to the health bar, score, or the AI controlled opponent yet but in putting that off I've made progress in other areas. I've added Ken's background artwork and his soundtrack to the game (although with the video recording software I use, you can't hear that track). Also found out I need to do some refactoring in the input class I started with, so that's the next big task. Before tackling that though, I'll probably finish implementing a few more details in Ken's stage. It's slick as a greased pig now, but it is missing the waving flag, and the cheering of the crowd. Soon to be corrected. If the framework that's in place can handle that, I should be in a good position to throw in whatever other stage artwork and animations I may need.
At some point in there I'll actually get around to making an opponent - if not it will just be a very pretty arena to roam around!
Well, the competition has come and gone once again, and I find that I didn't have time to complete things as I would liked to have done. Still, I did get a fair amount programmed, and it doesn't look too bad. I did finally get around to adding an opponent, although he is pretty much a dummy character and just stands there idling with no AI. I don't have an updated video as of yet since the only thing that has changed is the addition of the adversary. I'm going to add a health bar or two and then I'll get a new video up. (Yes, I fully intend to keep working on this game). Hope you all had some good success and learned some spiffy new things or ways of doing stuff. Have a great day!
Well, got the health bars added in and rendering. Since the enemy character is just a blank AI for the moment, they don't really do much but look fancy. The backing code is in there though to be able to dynamically alter how much health is left in the bar, I just haven't gotten to collision detection yet. That's going to be interesting working in the 'combo' attacks but I'm looking forward to it! Anyways, here's the latest video….