I love the idea of these sub-forums to encourage people in creativity in the area of the computer games. In this sense - to create computer games is a new hobby of mine. :) The idea of the forums comes at the right time for me when I recently finished the course "Beginning of Game Programming in C# with XNA" at coursera. The tutorials at this site also helped me a lot (though the course did not cover all of the material needed for creating a complete 2D game).
Let me explain you what I plan to make (if I have enough time - I have also another activities but really hope I will have enough time for this too) - a simple computer game where the player controls a character, called Zero which have to pass trough a labyrinth to pass one level; the game will have many levels. The labyrinth will have obstacles - hard places to go trough (i.e. fire, water, etc. where he must find something to help him with), logical places where the player must use his brain (i.e. a door which open if you solve a logical question) and evil creatures which will attack our character and our character will be able to fire in response.
- The game will be 2D (I still haven't covered the 3D tutorials), the view on the whole level (the whole labyrinth) will be from the top;
- For images of Zero I plan to use the texture atlas provided in the tutorial about "Texture atlases", of course if the creator(s) of this site allow me to use it!
And if anyone want to take part with his own images will be great (well, the character should be somehow circle shaped in order to respond to its name);
- Zero will be able to have abilities - to have health, to be able to walk and run (for certain time), to be able to swim for certain time, to fire with weapons and others… (in the future I may think of new ones; also you may propose others :) or if you doesnt like any of these to propose to remove);
- I think these abilities mentioned above to be able to be improved in order to be reached a simple RPG.
- Each level will be under the form of a labyrinth. I havent decided yet whether the labyrinth be generated randomly (more work in the programming in order to achieve good labyrinth) or set in advance (more work in designing each level);
- The evil creatures will have simple AI - when there is no obstacle between a creature and Zero and they are on one line - vertical or horizontal (for simplicity), the creature will move toward Zero and when reach him will attack. I think also to add in the future (if have time) creatures which will be able to fire from distance.
- As I'm writing for creatures - I will appreciate if anyone who enjoys in drawing to make for the game the sprites for the creatures, the special items which Zero can take and the levels! :)
- The player will be able to save and load the game. At this point I have not decided if the player to be able to save/load at any time or only when Zero reach on special places (maybe one safe place in the middle of the level and one in the end).
I think the game to be Open Source and everyone who wish to be able participate. The last version of the game will be placed on this server of mine (for now):
If anyone wish to participate in helping me with this game may contact by posting in this thread, or through skype - winsett_z
I am also open to new ideas so if you have anything that you think will be better than the mentioned above, please write! :)